The Woodlands and Houston, TX
Protecting your oral health as well as that of your children this Halloween should be a priority. To help make this easier, Houston dentist Dr. Scott Young is pleased to offer these 13 tips to help keep teeth healthy as the consumption of sweet treats increases.
- Do not bite hard candy – biting hard candy can chip or crack teeth
- Try to avoid keeping candy in your mouth for longer periods of time – the longer candy is in your mouth, the higher the chances of decay
- Avoid overly sticky and chewy candy – candy that sticks can harm restorations and increase risks for cavities
- Eat candy shortly after meals – the saliva produced while eating can help rinse away food particles and neutralize bacteria
- Drink a lot of water – like saliva, water can help rinse away food particles and the fluoride in water can help strengthen enamel
- Chew gum after eating candy – sugar-free gum has shown to reduce harmful bacteria in the mouth, particularly when chewed after eating
- Choose healthy foods in between sweet snacks – eating a healthy diet can help reduce overall risks for oral health problems
- Avoid soda and fruit juice – as you eat more sugary treats, avoid compounding damage by eliminating soda and fruit juice from your diet
- Brush after every snack – using a soft bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste after each snack greatly reduces risks for cavities
- Floss morning and night – the best way to remove food and plaque from in between teeth is by flossing
- Gargle with an antiseptic mouthwash – antiseptic mouthwashes can help neutralize bacteria that has not been removed through brushing and flossing
- Visit our office – biannual visits help ensure your teeth remain strong and healthy year round
- Have fun – while taking care of teeth is important, so too is enjoying yourself. Have a safe and happy Halloween!
If you are looking for a dentist in the Houston area, please contact Woodlands Premier Dentistry and schedule an appointment today.