The Woodlands and Houston TX
In the ideal smile, the upper lip of your gums should sit right above the top of your teeth. Unfortunately, some people have too much gum tissue covering the top of their teeth, making the teeth appear too small or too short. This is what is called a “gummy smile.” If more of your gums show when you smile than your teeth, you may be a candidate for gum recontouring.
Causes of Gummy Smiles
A gummy smile can be caused by a few different factors, including:
- Abnormal eruption of the teeth – If your adult teeth did not erupt normally, they may be covered by excess gum tissue, even though they are actually the right length.
- Abnormal jaw development – The way your upper jawbone grows and develops can result in a gummy smile.
Many gummy smiles are also the result of genetics, which causes the usual gum development to cease early, leaving your teeth looking shorter or smaller than they really are.
Gummy Smile Treatment
Gum recontouring is a short, simple procedure that is designed to correct a gumline that is uneven or too low. Gum recontouring cannot change the shape of your teeth, so if you are also unhappy about gaps between your teeth or chipped teeth, consider combining gum recontouring with dental bonding or porcelain veneers.
Dr. Young uses a soft tissue laser to perform gum recontouring. This allows much greater symmetry and precision when re-shaping your gums, and comes with several other patient benefits, such as:
- Comfort – Soft issue lasers are very gentle on your gums. Many of our patients don’t require any kind of pain relief while undergoing treatment.
- Faster recovery – Soft tissue lasers are so precise that your surrounding tissues are unaffected, leading to quicker healing and recovery. You may have some tenderness immediately after treatment, but this will subside within a few days.
- Control over bleeding and swelling – The laser seals your gum tissue as it goes, eliminating bleeding and protecting your tissue from infection.
If you are ready to smile with confidence again, please call (281) 367-5559 or contact Woodlands Premier Dentistry today to schedule your initial consultation with cosmetic dentist, Dr. Scott Young. We serve patients in The Woodlands, Houston, Spring, and the surrounding areas of Texas.